That old Sh50 you are carrying in your pocket or purse could make you sick in seconds.

This is according to study by the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) and researchers.
The research has revealed that Sh20 coin and the Sh50 note are the most contaminated denominations in the country.

The study was presented at the 7th East African Health and Scientific Conference in Tanzania.
The experts established that Sh20 coins and Sh50 notes had various disease-causing organisms due to their wide circulation.

The most common bacteria found on the two was Staphylococcus which can cause skin, heart and bone infections, food poisoning, pneumonia and toxic shock in humans.

Some denominations also tested positive for E coli which can cause diarrhea, abdominal pain, fever, and sometimes vomiting.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here